Monday, September 14, 2009

Taxi

To celebrate Father's Day we decided to head out for a special dinner at Taxi. Upon arrival we were greeted with a warm welcome and we were shown to our seats which offered a stunning view of Southbank. The decor was everything we expected it to be, simple and elegant.

After ordering our starters and mains we were given a palate cleanser which was a serving of miso pumpkin soup. Sounds weird I know but it was creamy and absolutely delicious! Our starters arrived and we had ordered tempura to share, the vegetables and tofu were coated in a light batter and deepfried served with some kind of sauce. This dish was nice (there were some unidentifiable vegetables) but not spectacular.

For mains I had the T-bone with bonemarrow, this was accompanied by mushrooms and crispy pork and spinach puree. I had thought that the sauce would be something different (since it said it had bonemarrow) but it was essentially a pepper sauce and everything was just a tad too salty for my liking. The others at the table had the special for the night flat head with scallops wrapped in prosciutto, and the wagyu beef which came with a horseradish dipping sauce. The fish was a hit being perfectly cooked and the scallops were a nice a touch, the wagyu steak and horseradish was also enjoyed although the horseradish we would have to say is an acquired taste.

We finished the evening with a strawberry souffle and petite four. These were flawless and made their way easily into our already bulging bellies.

All in all it was a nice evening, the service and mood of the restaurant was perfect although I would have to say I was not as impressed with the food as I thought I should be especially for the price.

Place: Taxi

Where: Level 1 of Transport Hotel, Federation Square Melbourne

Did we have a great time: We had a good time.

Would you go again? I would probably try somewhere else first.

Recommended: Yes, it's a nice place to go for a special occasion.

Dress Code: You don't need a suit but don't turn up in jeans and a top!

1 comment:

  1. I went for a business lunch at Taxi about a month ago. I ordered the wild barramundi with potatoes and green vegetables sides. The whole table agreed that their dish was too salty. The deserts on the other hand where a chocolate mousse and a panacotta which were both memorable. Personally, I would go back for a business lunch as the view and décor are very nice and the service is attentive and efficient. I would also go back for desert. However, in Melbourne there are so many outstanding places to wine and dine I think I'll try Walter's Wine Bar next time.

    ReplyDelete